80% by 2018 National Achievement Award
- Click here for the press release.
- Click here for a Kentucky Cancer Consortium Colon Cancer Success Story Video
- Click here to register for the live webcast on March 7th from 2-3 pm EST.
Evaluation results for the “audio talking card” to support the Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) test for colon cancer screening
This evaluation, conducted by the KCC, examines the impact of the audio card implementation as well as lessons learned from the collaboration of multiple partners in implementing a multi-component intervention.
- Community Clinical Linkages Outreach Events
- Audio Card
- Patient Navigation
- Engaging Health System Changes
Colorectal Cancer Screening 101: What Community Health Workers Need to Know
Presentation and Webinar Recording
Colorectal Cancer Screening Prevalence
Click here for the map of Kentucky and click here for the research article that served as the source document for this data.
Colorectal Cancer in Kentucky Factsheet
The Kentucky Cancer Consortium and their partners have developed a factsheet highlighting the state’s progress to increase colorectal cancer screening rates and reduce mortality for this preventable, treatable disease. The new two-page snapshot outlines the impact of colorectal cancer in Kentucky and shares both continuing challenges as well as opportunities for collective action.
Colorectal Cancer in Kentucky Timeline
Partnerships and policy changes over time have made an impact on reducing the burden of colorectal cancer in Kentucky. For a link to the timeline, click here.
Presentations for Your Next Events
Utilize this PowerPoint presentation at your next health education event, or print this postcard sentiment in your local media, thanking health care providers and community champions for their efforts in increasing colorectal cancer screening rates in Kentucky.
Next Meeting: TBD
Vision: To bring all stakeholders together to collaborate, share resources, generate synergy, and further our specific missions to reach our common goal of eliminating preventable colon cancer through screening.
Mission: To work collectively to increase the number of Kentuckians who receive appropriate colon cancer screening.
Colon Cancer Committee organizations:
- American Cancer Society
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
- Colon Cancer Prevention Project
- Kentucky African Americans Against Cancer
- Kentucky Cancer Foundation
- Kentucky Cancer Program at the University of Kentucky
- Kentucky Cancer Program at the University of Louisville
- Kentucky Cancer Registry
- Kentucky CancerLink
- Kentucky Department for Public Health
- Kentucky Homeplace
- University of Kentucky Rural Cancer Prevention Center
- University of Kentucky, Markey Cancer Center
- University of Louisville, Brown Cancer Center
For more information about the Committee, contact Elaine Russell.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Over the past 17 years, Kentucky’s colon cancer screening rate has improved more than any other state in the country. Kentucky BRFS data for 2016 shows that over 70% of eligible Kentuckians had been screened for this preventable, treatable, disease.
- Kentucky is the only state in the country that requires almost all health plans to cover the entire cost of a colonoscopy after a positive FIT or stool DNA test, with no co-pay or deductible. It is also the only state to have ensured that a patient who has a polyp found during a screening colonoscopy must continue to be coded and billed as a screening colonoscopy, not a diagnostic colonoscopy. Correct coding is key to no-cost colonoscopies!